Student Club GSA Works to Create Supportive Environment

Shelbie Gray

GSA staff poses during morning meeting

Shelbie Gray, Writer

The Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) is a club here at school. The club allows not only LGBTQ+ students but straight alliances to come and talk about things going on in their lives. The GSA is a judgment-free zone where students can get support from peers and students are able to completely express themselves. Sophomore and Senior English teacher David Richardson is the advisor for the GSA.  

“For me, I try to stay in the background and help facilitate anything they need with like facility or admissions, but the students in the club lead the GSA themselves,” said Richardson. 

Students are open to freely talk about anything at the GSA and not worry about other peers judging you at all.

“It is a confidential place. I think that is part of it, I’m there as a representative of the school but unless there is something legally binding to report it is definitely confidential,” said Richardson. 

The GSA is a great, welcoming place that allows students to talk about sanative topics. The GSA is open for anyone, for example, the presentient is a straight ally and the vice president, junior Emily Sprenkle, is bisexual.    

Anyone, it is the gay straight alliance. So it’s a space for LGBTQ+ students to feel safe, but also straight allies to show their support.

— David Richardson

“It’s great as a safe place to talk about things that I can’t talk about with a lot of other people, and to just be supportive of others and be myself,” said Sprenkle. 

The students in the GSA have all worked very hard to make the GSA a welcoming and comfortable place for everyone to feel heard. 

“The community is very welcoming and just how I am able to be myself without feeling judged,” said Sprenkle. 

Junior Megan Holm is president of the GSA. She is in charge of coordinating fundraisers and running all of the meetings. The GSA isn’t just a place to talk about LGBTQ+ problems. 

“We have support in other places besides the LBGTQ+ community. We talk about home, school, and work-life,” Holm said. 

Sometimes students just need to be able to sit down with their peers and talk about what is going on in their lives. 

“The GSA mainly focuses on what is happening in peoples’ lives, and if they need anything, or need to talk about anything,” Holm said 

The meetings do look a little different this year due to COVID, but that hasn’t stopped the GSA from meeting every Wednesday in room C203.

“The GSA meetings are shorter this year. They start at 7:40 a.m., but people don’t usually arrive until 7:45 a.m. and end at 8:00 a.m. The vice president and I are working towards having more structure, which is hard with the short time we have,” said Holm. 

The GSA is a very welcoming place and all students who want to join are welcomed even if they are hesitant. 

“The GSA is open to anyone who wants to come. If someone is nervous about coming, they are welcome to message me, Mr.Richardson, or the social worker” Richardson said.