Running to New Records

Both the Boys and Girls Track team had a successful season breaking many personal and school records

Boys+and+girls+track+teams+smile+after+winning+Regional+Champions+on+May+20%2C+2022.+

Courtesy: @tcwtitantraining

Boys and girls track teams smile after winning Regional Champions on May 20, 2022.

Kate Barnum, Staff Writer

Track and Field overall for both the girls and the boys team were very successful this season. Both were regional champs, Big North Conference (BNC) champions, and placed well at states. Seven Titans on the girls team and 10 Titans on the boys team qualify for the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) States. The athletes going to states included sophomore Wally Tupper in the 110 Hurdles, senior Remy Schulz in the 100 and 200 meter dash, both seniors Jon O’Connor and Will Gaston in the long jump and junior Jonah Hochstetler in the 800 run. Along with two relays, the 800 relay of Schulz, O’Connor, junior Ayden Totten and senior Michael Schermerhorn and the 1600 relay of sophomore Ben Habers, seniors Josh Hirschenberger, Isaac Stone and Hochstetler for the guys. Hochstetler finished fifth place at the state meet in the 800 with a school record of 1:54.36 and both boys relays ran their best times of the season.

The girls that went to states were sophomore Avery Lahti for long jump, seniors Becky Lane for pole vault, Sara Schermerhorn and junior Arianna Stallworth for the 100 and 200 meter dash. Along with the 4×100 meter relay, Stallworth, Schermerhorn, juniors Rylee Herban and Madalen Ferrill, and the 4×200, Stallworth, Schermerhorn, Herban and senior Anna Curry. Both teams had similar advantages for the year. 

“Our strengths this year were our relays and depth in almost every event,” boys Coach Tom Brown said. 

The girls have similar strengths that allow them to perform how they do. 

“A key to the success of this team is our depth. We have multiple athletes who can score points in each of the 17 events,” girls Coach Diane Goss said. 

All track athletes pose at the end of the season after being named BNC Champs (Courtesy: @tcwestgirlstrackfieldxc)

Getting ready for a race can be done in many different ways. Each person has their own ways of preparing for a big meet. 

“At practice to prepare for a meet, we normally do short build ups and handoffs, but then after practice I try to take an ice bath or go stand in a lake for a little bit to relax my legs,” Ferrill said. 

The coaches want the athletes to feel the most comfortable and confident doing the events they partake in. Therefore coaches will help place each athlete in an event they think the athlete will do the best in. 

“Track is a unique sport as it has 17 events for individuals to do. By encouraging athletes to try an event and then developing the skills to be successful, we build the depth in the program that makes a championship team,” Goss said. 

Both the girls and the boys teams were successful this year at their meets along with participation in the sport. 

“The benefit is when we try to get people [to join], it’s not always about them helping the team, it’s more about the sport helping them become better athletes. And everyone can get faster, they get better for their other sports like soccer, football et cetera,” boys Coach Jason Morrow said.