The Student News Site of Traverse City West Senior High

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

Polls

Should School Personnel Be Armed?

• No (55%, 17 Votes)
  • Yes (45%, 14 Votes)

Total Voters: 31

Loading ... Loading ...

Lady Titans Prepare Their Goodbyes to Seven Seniors

The 2023-2024 girls golf team is composed of mostly senior this year.
2023-2024 girls golf team. Left to Right: Kate Bosley, Nola Raven, Sadie Vanlandschoot, Maya Wilson, Brynn Turnquist, Amarah Leserance, Charlie Erickson. Photo Courtesy: Scarlet Piedmonte

For the Lady Titans girls golf team, there’s no doubt that they’ve had a notorious history. The girls golf team has previously conditioned and produced numerous college-bound athletes. But one thing stays the same, father-son duo Karl Gagnon and Greg Gagnon. Varsity coach Karl, who has coached sports ranging from basketball, softball, and track and field, has been coaching for 45 years overall, and has spent the last 10 years coaching the Lady Titans. Greg, the junior varsity coach, has been coaching for years alongside his father, also being offered the opportunity to be the boy’s golf coach this last year. During the 2023 season, the Lady Titans golf team held seven seniors, with four claiming four of the six varsity spots, and taking up nearly half of the overall roster. 

“It’s been a great senior class that we’ve had, so anytime you lose seven seniors you definitely are going to have to find a way to rebuild. We’ve got a couple of key juniors and sophomores this year that will have to step up, and we’ll see what the freshman class brings next year. It’s going to be tough losing our seven seniors, seven really good seniors,” G. Gagnon said. 

This is going to be a tough adjustment for the team, being they only lost one senior last season. 

“In the high school program we’re constantly losing players, and we’re always looking for that next player that’s prepared to step up and develop and become one of the key players we’re working to replace,” G. Gagnon said. 

The coaches work their players hard in efforts of achieving lower scores, practicing mainly around the green on short game. The Gagnons are sure to implement putting and chipping practice, with hopes of improving on arguably the most important aspect of the game of golf. 

“We’re a short game focused team constantly working to find ways to improve and shave strokes around the green,” G. Gagnon said. 

Senior Amarah Lesperance, a relatively fresh face on the team after joining her junior year, has adjusted well to the flow of the game and the team in such a short amount of time. 

“I started at the same time as my friend, and I even started with her hand-me-down clubs because she had previous experience. We both learned and improved together and now we play together all the time,” Lesperance said. 

For senior captain Charlie Erickson, she has high expectations for her team as the season nears the end. Erickson earned her captain’s title by being a fierce competitor and leader on the varsity team. She has played on the golf team all four years, and has become a well-known name among the golf community. 

“It would be really cool for our team to make states again this year, but overall I just want the team to do well,” Erickson said. 

As the season nears a close, the varsity team will participate in regionals Wednesday, Oct.11, playing the Betsie Valley course at Crystal Mountain to determine eligibility to participate in state finals.