Model UN: A New Wave of Students

Recently, Model UN had their first conference. Here are some of the members’ take on how the club/team works.
Model UN: A New Wave of Students

Model UN has made its way from Oxford University, where it originated, to schools in the U.S., including Traverse City’s high schools. Although the school has had a Model UN program for quite a long time, the new semester brings in new participants, which could come as a challenge in upcoming competitions or conferences. 

“I joined Model UN because I thought it would be really fun. I like debating and the teacher is my favorite teacher. This past conference was my first conference. I thought it was really fun having my resolutions passed,” senior Petra Wilson said. 

Although Model UN is technically a club, the workload is on par with being an actual class, which comes as both an advantage and disadvantage to those interested in the club.

“The most challenging part of Model UN is probably just writing the [papers]. I had a conference three weeks ago, and then I had one Thursday. I only had three weeks to prepare with a new country. It’s challenging since it’s a club and not a real class, [and it’s easy] to get distracted and not do the work. You have a harder time writing. We have to write speeches, [and] at the conferences there’s resolutions, which is a solution to a country’s problem. A position paper is a paper that you write before the conference for the people running it, so they could know your position on the topic,” sophomore Mason Gay said. 

A few times a year, students in Model UN go to conferences in other parts of the state. These conferences provide students the chance to talk with other Model UN participants about current events and issues happening in the world. 

“[Similar to] debate, it gets you to cooperate with other people. It’s really good for teamwork because you’re in a room with a bunch of other kids trying to get a solution. It also helps with public speaking. You collaborate with other people to come to a solution on what can get done,” Gay said. 

Those who are experienced in Model UN get the opportunity to be a leader in the club, also called a Model UN officer. 

“Model UN officers teach others what to do and [help them learn] the ropes. I make slideshows for meetings, and I help the beginners,” Model UN officer and sophomore Evi Burtt said.

Students’ progress and abilities in Model UN have increased dramatically since the start of the year, preparing for upcoming conferences in February and March. 

“[Last week’s] conference was definitely better. I feel way more confident than last time. [Just] try your best with what you have, and put yourself out there,” Burtt said. 

Succeeding in Model UN has proven among students to be beneficial in the future for life lessons and also to help navigate an academic pathway past high school. 

“It will definitely stand out on college apps, and you can win rewards. The whole experience is just very rewarding, your research pays off, and it’s just a very fun experience,” Wilson said.