Uptick in Acceptances at the University of Michigan

Handful of West soon-to-be alumni sporting the maize and blue
Graphic Credit: Brynn Turnquist

The University of Michigan; one of the ultimate schools in the state of Michigan. Known most famously for their football team after winning the national championship last season and for their notoriously low-acceptance rate. U of M was originally founded in 1817 and named the oldest institution of higher education in Michigan. Sitting at exactly a 20% acceptance rate, many carry no doubt that an acceptance letter from Michigan is an achievement that most may not be capable of accomplishing. But for those extraordinary candidates who do get that long-awaited acceptance letter, it is bound to change their lives forever. 

“I was so extremely excited when I got in. I remember getting home and immediately opening my computer to look because I couldn’t wait. I also felt relieved because I have wanted to go to Michigan since I can remember. It felt like everything I had worked so hard for paid off,” senior Tatem Bottrell said. “I was confident in my application and put a lot of work into it, but again I know a lot of people who had competitive applications but didn’t get in, so that made me nervous.” 

On average, college students can change their major up to three different times. 

“I am not 100% sure on what I’m going into, but I am interested in science. I especially love Chemistry and have been thinking about majoring in that and then becoming a veterinarian or engineer. But I honestly have thought about so many options and am keeping them all open,” Bottrell said. 

All while maintaining a full schedule including school, work and extracurricular activities, Bottrell says this is the key to achieving an impressive college application. 

“Pick and choose your extracurriculars. Doing five extracurriculars, you can pour lots of energy and time into is so much better than doing 15 you don’t really care about. Don’t be self-conscious about getting involved and participating at school and in the community. I have learned so much through putting myself out there. I also think it’s helpful to ask yourself, are my activities unique? And am I doing the best I can to keep my grades up? But one bad test or grade doesn’t make or break you,” Bottrell said. “While grades are still important I feel like now more than ever colleges want to see what makes you different. Finally, start on your common app early so you can spend a lot of time on your essay, activity section and have time to reach out for help.” 

For some other applicants, the acceptance was a bit of a shock. 

“I was in shock that I got in and just overall very satisfied that all my hard work paid off,” senior Leland Branco said. “I didn’t really have the test scores that are average for U of M, and I know that they are a very selective school.” 

Even though he was accepted, Branco looks into taking another approach after graduation. 

“I’m probably going to take a gap year first, but then I am thinking of studying Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering,” Branco said.