The Student News Site of Traverse City West Senior High

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

Polls

Should School Personnel Be Armed?

• No (55%, 17 Votes)
  • Yes (45%, 14 Votes)

Total Voters: 31

Loading ... Loading ...

A Few Staple Businesses Hit the Market

Businesses around Traverse City that are up for sale

As spring approaches, there are a few well-loved businesses surrounding Traverse City that hit the market in an effort to find new buyers. A few key businesses looking to sell their business and move on to the next step include Fresh Coast Market in Long Lake Township, the Cherry Bowl Drive-In near Honor and Bardon’s Wonder Freeze located in the heart of downtown Traverse City. For many, these businesses have been popular for years and years, such as the Cherry Bowl Drive-In and Bardon’s Wonder Freeze both being open for business and serving customers since the early 1950’s. 

The Cherry Bowl Drive-In is currently listed for $625,000, with news of the owner’s retirement.

“This is your chance to own a special piece of Benzie County history,” the listing by Real Estate One says. 

The Cherry Bowl is one of only eight drive-ins left open for business in Michigan. 

“Opened in 1953, this retro-themed theatre allows you to take a trip down memory lane,” the listing says. 

With roughly 275 parking spaces geared towards the huge screen, the drive-in is known to be family-friendly with the showing of double features. The lot includes a mini golf course, playground, pole barn and a diner-like concession stand. 

Bardon’s Wonder Freeze on Front street currently is listed at $1.1 million. 

“Situated at the prime corner of Front and Garfield, captivates both locals and visitors alike with average daily traffic count in excess of 53,000 cars- yes a day!” the listing by Real Estate One says. “With a proven history of revenue generation and community engagement, this corner store has become an iconic landmark, embodying the spirit of the little ice cream store that could.” 

The business has been a staple in Traverse City for decades, mostly known for their soft-serve ice cream. 

As for the west side of Traverse City, the beloved and recently renovated Fresh Coast Market is listed for $2.4 million. Owners Dave and Jen Sears took over the business around six years ago, transforming it from Fieldstone Market & Deli into Fresh Coast. 

“We brought a world-class specialty grocery store to this special area of Long Lake,” the two wrote on a post on Facebook. “It is our absolute desire to find a new buyer that will take the foundation of the amazing business that we have built and will continue to grow the business in a healthy, thriving way into the future.”

Fresh Coast features over 200 Michigan-native products and hopes the market will land in good hands.