Remote learning for TCAPS Middle and High Schools

Alyssa Masiewicz, Editor-in-Chief

Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS) transitioned to remote learning for the week of April 5, 2020, due to recommendations from the Grand Traverse County Health Department (GTCHD). 

Recently, COVID-19 cases have been rising dramatically in Grand Traverse County. According to the GTCHD, we are facing the “highest percent positivity of COVID-19 testing and highest hospitalization rate during the pandemic.” 

Spring break has also been a factor in deciding whether or not students should switch to remote. With an increase in traveling during spring break this year, Gov. Whitmer, the Center for Disease Control (CDC), and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) suggested that students should go to online learning in order for “those who have traveled” to quarantine and to reduce the spread of the coronavirus.

Going remote for the remainder of this week also allows for the Health Department to continue to contact trace the “school aged cases” to help minimize the spread of COVID-19. According to the GTCHD, they are expecting for there “to be well over 1000 tests,” just at Central High School, given on April 5. Going remote for the next week allows for the Health Department to decide if the positivity rates will continue to go up or if they will level off. 

The GTCHD will be meeting with TCAPS and other school districts in the area April 9 “to provide an update” on COVID-19 cases and to decide if returning to school will be safe.