WMS German Teacher Moves to WSH

After teaching at West Middle School for many years, Kerry Labonte moves back to West Senior High to continue teaching German classes
Photo credit: Isla Wien
K.Labonte explains a reading to students during her German I and II class.

Kerry LaBonte, a German teacher teaching since 1997, has transitioned back to teaching at West Senior High School. She moved here along with her previous German students from West Middle School. 

“I was so excited to be able to follow my students up {to the high school}. I love that we built a little family in our class. We know each other’s quirks and just know each other better. I think it’s good where you have this relationship with a student where you know their strengths and weaknesses. I think it’s cool to move on with each other,” LaBonte said.

This is not her first time teaching at the high school. LaBonte has a long history of teaching at both WHS and WMS. However, she has not transitioned frequently between the two.

“I taught at the high school for 17 years before I went to the middle school, so it’s kind of like stepping back into my first teaching years, and it’s kind of cool,” LaBonte said.

While this was not her first time teaching here at the high school, there are major differences that she’s had to adjust to. Often, high school students are more mature. However, LaBonte points out the positive aspects of teaching at the middle school as well. 

“The kids at the middle school have this fire inside of them, they are excited to be at school and excited to learn. The kids at the high school have a slightly different passion and focus because of where you wanna go. You’re deciding which path you wanna take in life, so you’re kind of building a different kind of relationship,” LaBonte said.

Most of LaBonte’s students are happy to be in her class. Although many students enjoy her class, some wonder whether she is an “easy grader” due to her transition from Middle School. 

“I think she is a pretty easy grading teacher. She’s pretty fun. She teaches us more with less work,” sophomore Wyatt Goodrich said.

The freshmen of German III have now been taught by LaBonte for three years. 

“I was really excited because Mrs. LaBonte is my favorite teacher ever. I think that she is a really good teacher and makes everything more fun,” said freshman student Charley Sierzputowski.