The Student News Site of Traverse City West Senior High

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

Polls

Should School Personnel Be Armed?

• No (55%, 17 Votes)
  • Yes (45%, 14 Votes)

Total Voters: 31

Loading ... Loading ...

Bleacher Creatures Take on Italy

Students travel to Europe for spring break for the second year in a row
Graphic Credit: C. Copenhaver/staff

From March 21 to March 30, students and chaperones will be traveling to Italy for the duration of spring break. The trip will include visiting many classic Italian destinations including Milan, Venice, Florence, Assisi, Sorrento, Rome and Pompeii. A few years back, a similar trip was made to other European destinations, including London, Paris and Dublin.

“[I’m looking forward to] the day trips and where we are going and the places we are going to get to see,” sophomore Aspen Young said.

In addition to exploring the cities, many separate activities will be held. Students will also get the chance to expand their knowledge of the areas they are visiting by getting to hear from local tour guides about the places they’re from.

“Every time you stop somewhere, there are specific sights that you go to and you see. We’re going to Pisa, so we’ll see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and at every stop, there are specific things that you see and a lot of times there is a tour guide from that area that comes on the bus then talks us through a bunch of stuff,” English teacher and chaperone Kelly Rintala said.

Along with the lasting memories that come with traveling, the trip also has somewhat of an educational purpose. The trip relates to literature that students will be studying in their classes. For example, everyone who is going has been required to read “Romeo and Juliet” at least some point in their high school career, and they will get the chance to see the real setting of the story, as it takes place in Italy.

“These all tie to literature, like last time when we went it was tied to literature specifically, but also there’s just so much learning from going and opening up your horizon and seeing all these different places. Italy offers us so much when we think about, you know, everybody here studies Romeo and Juliet, so that’s set in Italy, so there’s all those connections we’ll be able to make while were there, freshman all look at that, but I think all of us that go know that it’s really about taking some risks, putting yourself in a different space, you learn a lot about yourself, being around a bunch of people and traveling abroad, so really that’s the biggest thing. There are assignments students can do to actually earn credit for going, and a lot of that is just reflecting on what they’ve seen,” Rintala said.

Travel in itself is also an educational experience, as it teaches invaluable lessons about the world and educates travelers about other cultures. Some may argue that the most important education is found not in a school setting, but in simply observing and naturally learning about the world and real-life experiences. By allowing students the opportunity to travel through school affiliated programs, many possibilities could be opened up for those who may not normally step out of their comfort zones or even get the opportunity to do so in the first place.

“Traveling overseas is such an important part of understanding who we are [and] where we come from, as well as understanding other cultures and people,” English teacher and chaperone Aimee Cole said.

Although there are many scheduled activities and set itineraries, students participating in the trip will also get the chance to separate into smaller groups to explore the surrounding areas.

“[There are] day trips, so we, like, get to break off from the big group and we get to go travel the town with just the four people in your group and the people that you’re closest with,” Young said.

The school trip will also differ from the majority of students’ normal spring breaks and offer a chance to try something some wouldn’t normally be able to do. 

“I think it is a better experience [than staying home] because [on] my family breaks we usually don’t go out of the country and also I don’t normally go with friends’ places,” Young said. 

The trip is packed full of activities for those traveling, which can help them learn about the culture, the food and the history. Each city will have its own unique opportunity for travelers to experience.

“Some of the activities will be a water taxi to the island of Burano, a gondola ride in Venice, the Tower of Pisa, the Ruins of Pompeii, a Ferry to Capri, the Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel, to name a few,” Cole said.

Students and teachers alike will get to experience a new country and visit Italian destinations.

“I am looking forward to riding in a gondola in Venice and visiting the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican City. And, of course, the food,” Cole said.