The Student News Site of Traverse City West Senior High

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

Polls

Should School Personnel Be Armed?

• No (55%, 17 Votes)
  • Yes (45%, 14 Votes)

Total Voters: 31

Loading ... Loading ...

Transgender Day on Easter

International Transgender Day Visibility recognized on Easter Sunday
Transgender Day on Easter
Graphic Credit: Isla Wien

President Joe Biden acknowledged International Transgender Day of Visibility landing on Easter Sunday. Biden also banned religious symbols on Easter eggs within the White House. This controversy upset many Christians because they feel that the day takes away from Easter (the rise of Christ). On the other hand, others do not see the issue between the two holidays colliding, as International Transgender Day of Visibility remains on the 31 of March every year, and Easter changes dates (the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox.).

“I think it’s stupid that people are making a deal about it, if you don’t want to celebrate one [of the holidays] just don’t celebrate it. I don’t think that Transgender Visibility Day invades my religion, I can always just not celebrate it, and I didn’t even know about the situation until a couple of days after Easter. It will also only ever happen every once in a while due to the fact that Easter changes dates every year. ” Freshman Owen Jongekrijg said.

Freshman Finn Hochstetler is not religious, however, she does celebrate Easter with typical family activities. She does not personally celebrate the International Transgender Day of Visibility because it does not apply to her or her family. However, she believes that it is a great day for those who can relate to being transgender so that they can feel supported in their identity. 

“I don’t have opinions on Easter, it changes every year, and the day of visibility remains [the same] every year. No one is restricting anyone’s religion or forcing them to not celebrate a religious holiday. I think both events fall within the protection of the First Amendment under freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Everyone should be able to celebrate what they choose to without persecution,” Hochstetler said.

Freshman Mia Piedmonte has a different opinion than Hochstetler and Jongekrijg. She celebrates Easter with her family with an egg hunt, however, she does not celebrate International Transgender Visibility Day.

“Although I support the rights of transgender people I do not think Easter was the right choice of date for a celebration for them. Easter is a day to celebrate Jesus rising so I believe that transgender people can celebrate on a different date,” Piedmonte said.

Sophomore Landon Holt believes that it was a poor decision to put International Transgender Visibility Day within the path of Easter.

“My religion doesn’t believe in all that stuff, but I’m not going to attack people for it. As long as people don’t chuck it at me or throw it down my throat it’s fine because they believe what they believe and I believe what I believe,” Holt said.