The Student News Site of Traverse City West Senior High

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

The Occidentalist

Polls

Should School Personnel Be Armed?

• No (55%, 17 Votes)
  • Yes (45%, 14 Votes)

Total Voters: 31

Loading ... Loading ...

Banding Together for Band Camp

As summer begins and band camp starts, new opportunities for connections arise

At the end of summer in late August, marching band members, including colorguard, attend a two-week camp to practice their half-time and pre-game show routine for football games. Email Dugger, a soon-to-be junior, is a colorguard member and says that band camp is their favorite part of their extracurricular.

“Usually, we start together in warm-ups and marching drills, then we learn some drills for the halftime show or pre-game show. After that, we usually go into separate groups where all the sections get together and practice their music, [which] is usually when the [color]guard will go off and discuss necessary routine changes or have separate marching practice time,“ Dugger said. 

Erica Jones, a freshman who plays the flugelhorn, enjoys the social aspect of band camp. She believes it is also crucial to have practice time so the marching band can perfect their routine.

“Even though it is hard work, it is a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of people and have fun with friends,” Jones said.

Both Jones and Dugger are enthusiastic about being part of the marching band and color guard, and they recommend incoming students to give either a try.

“It’s great to hear the cadence from the drum line after lots of practicing without it and it is nice to converse with the other band members on the field and during lunch break,” Dugger said. 

Many students who participate in band and color guard find the experience to be a very important part of their time in high school. Even though some may not continue to play their instrument later in life, the memories they make can be one of the most valuable things they gain from being in the marching band.

I think that band is a great experience because you get to make a lot of life-long friendships and are able to perform which is really fun,” Jones said.