Brazee and Murphy Crowned 2023 Homecoming Royalty

Photo Credit: Alan Newton
Photo Credit: Alan Newton

The 2023 Homecoming king and queen are seniors Katie Brazee and Ethan Murphy. They were crowned at the homecoming football game on Friday, Sept. 29, after the last votes were counted during the school day. 

School activities such as powder puff, powder ruff, dodgeball and more are all included in the festivities of the busy week. Amongst the chaos, students in the senior class also have the opportunity to run for homecoming court. During the 2023 homecoming court sign-up, there were many that entered, but only five couples made it to the court. Standing out among four other couples at the homecoming football game, Brazee and Murphy won the popular vote and were crowned homecoming king and queen under the Friday night lights. 

“I expected to win because we had everyone on our side,” Murphy said. 

For Brazee, she was less confident. 

“I didn’t expect to win, but I was really happy when we got onto court. It was a really fun opportunity and I’ve always wanted to run,” Brazee said.

While this was a lifelong dream for Brazee, for Murphy it was more spontaneous. 

“It was kind of just a last-minute decision, but then we got really serious about it and started campaigning,” Murphy said. 

Soon enough, Brazee and Murphy got to work spreading the word about their aspirations to win and making efforts to secure students’ votes. Running for homecoming court was an unforgettable experience for both Brazee and Murphy. 

“Then we won, so that’s really all there is to it,” Murphy said. 

While Brazee agreed the week-long homecoming festivities were fun, the coronation of the new royalty overcame everything else. 

“When we found out we won, having my whole family there and being able to share that experience with our school was definitely my favorite part of the week,” Brazee said.